Each year the Edmonton NAOSH committee puts on events promoting health and safety for employees and employers. This year was an extra special year as it was the 30th anniversary of NAOSH.
Read more about our 2016 NAOSH events below!
The committee in Edmonton has representatives from public, private and government sectors. Each year this group of incredible safety professionals come together to put on these various events in the hope that more and more people are educated in health and safety and work, home and community.
The committee is comprised of:
- Sarah Casper – Chair and with St. John Ambulance
- Christl Aggus – Principle Safety
- Melany Beatty
- Emily Derklukewich
- Nimmi Dua – University of Alberta
- Stacey Dziwenko – Brxton
- John Gillespie – NAIT
- Norm Larocque – Alberta Labour, Occupational Health and Safety
- Cailin Mills – Alberta Labour, Occupational Health and Safety
- Vrinda Naik – Principle Safety
- Whitney Rutherford – Scott Builders
- Lloyd Thomas
- Raeleigne Van Patten – Millennium EMS
One of the events that we put together each year is a mock work site inspection. Over the past four years during NAOSH week, the NAIT Occupational Health & Safety Diploma program and the Workplace Occupational Health & Safety Officers have got together to conduct a work site inspection. This involves thirty of the 1st year students and one or two OHS Gov’t Officers.
The annual speaker’s conference and trade show took place on Wednesday, April 27th at the Chateau Louis Hotel and Conference Centre. Approximately 130 participants took in the day to see the exhibits and the four speakers present throughout the day.
This year we heard from:
- Lloyd Harman – “A Different Perspective”
- Samantha Newhook (and volunteers from Men at Risk) – “ Tough Enough to Talk About”
- John Brix – “The Power of Don’t”
- Al Quilley – “Pulling it All Together”
In total, we had 17 exhibits including: EHS Partnerships Ltd., Western Canada Fire and First Aid, Millard Health – WCB, Job Safety Skills Society, Alberta Labour – OHS, Principle Safety, University of Alberta, St. John Ambulance, NAIT, Brasco Safety, CannAmm Occupational Testing Services, Labour Program, 3M, Yardstick – Danatec, Western Medical Assessments, Millennium EMS Solutions, ACSA.
The Alberta Government Student Video Contest awards were handed out this year. This year marked the 8th time these videos were viewed at our conference. Honourable Minister Christina Gray presented the students with their awards this year. Each year they get better and better and this time was no different. Congratulations to all the students and schools who won this year. Their videos are available via the Alberta OHS website.
- First Place: A Workplace Nightmare- St. Paul’s Academy: Centre for Learning at Home, Okotoks
- Second Place: Only a Second - Bert Church High School, Airdrie
- Third Place: Mashed Potato - Harry Ainley High School, Edmonton
To kick off NAOSH Week we celebrated with a Family Safety Day on May 1st. Featured at the event was CN Rail, Edmonton Fire & Rescue, Alberta Safety Council’s mini quads, a bouncy castle and live demonstrations from a local Tai Chi college.
A very special thank you to all of our sponsors:
- Big Country BBQ
- Myshak Sales & Rentals
- Seagate Contract Management
- Armada Electrical Services
- Scott Builders
- Custom Floors Inc.
- Alberta Construction Safety Association/Edmonton Regional Safety Committee
- Canadian Society of Safety Engineers
We look forward to working together planning a safer future for all Albertans for many years to come.
CSSE Edmonton Chapter - NAOSH Committee Director